5 pounds corned beef brisket with seasoning packet
1/2 pound salt pork
2 bay leaves
1 head cabbage, quartered2 cans of Guinness Draught – 1 for cooking and 1 for drinking
3 T yellow mustard
1/2 cup + 1 T brown sugar
2 T grainy mustard
1 T Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup water
1 tsp horseradish
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 cup honey
1 head of cabbage, cut into wedges
- Rinse the corned beef under cold water and pat dry.
- Place the salt pork & corned beef (fat side down) in a 6 quart crock pot.
- Add the carrot, potatoes, turnips, parsnips & onions around the beef.
- In a small bowl, mix the yellow mustard and seasoning packet together.
- Spread the mustard mixture all over the top of the corned beef.
- Pour the beer around the beef.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup brown sugar over top the beef, veggies and beer.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Remove the lid and add the cabbage wedges.
- Cook for 1 more hour.
- Remove the meat from the crock pot and set aside. Place a tent foil on top.
- Using a slotted spoon, scoop out the veggies and place in a bowl.
- Place a sieve over top a medium pot and strain the juices into the pot.
- Place the pot over high heat.
- Bring to a boil, add in the remaining 1T – 1/4 cup of the remaining brown sugar, water, horseradish, salt, pepper, grainy mustard, Worcestershire, honey and mix.
- Put the heat to a simmer to reduce the sauce by half and it starts to thicken. ~35 minutes.
- Slice the meat against the grain and serve with the glaze, veggies on the side and Irish soda bread! Ooooo and maybe some Irish Whiskey Cake : )